Sunday, September 9, 2012

BPD = Borderline Prairie Dogs



One thing about having BPD is the numerous addictions that it comes with. One such addiction I had was prairie dogs. I became completely obsessed. One mid-summer afternoon a friend and I were trolling the zoo when we came upon a newly renovated exhibit. It was the prairie dog exhibit, and there were 30 prairie dogs pups romping, digging, playing, kissing, (they do kiss and at one time I though there scientific name should be Basium Spermophilus Lateralis, Kissing Ground Squirrels) rolling, squeaking, and acting like a circus of fat, furry clowns.........

I was completely mesmerized. I couldn’t stop thinking about them, even after leaving the zoo; I thought and thought about them the way children think about sweets.  
 
I bought a zoo membership that week and visited the prairie dog exhibit on my lunch breaks. I bought books and read every site about them online. To my delight, I found out that they could be pets, and so I began calling all over the mid west looking for a pet store that sold them. 

That is a completely different and long story, but I went to great lengths to bring my best friend prairie dogs home.  I spent many happy years with them; the whole time, being consumed about their well being and getting time to play with them.

In the prairie dog pet world, prairie dogs are often referred to as PD’s. My brain, being under the influence of it obsessions, at first when I read Borderline Personality Disorder often abbreviated as BPD I instantly thought Borderline Prairie Dogs, which in turn made me think of refugee prairie dogs. I thought of their land being taken over and them as poor little, war torn vagrants headed for the border of Mexico.

It’s not that hard to see how BPD and PD’s share some common history. Prairie dogs were once happily being prairie dogs, digging, chirping, playing, eating, and being eaten.


They were just being what they were created to be, but then people came who didn’t like them being the way they were. They thought they dug too much, chirped too much, and they were just in the way of their progress to build things and plant things. The people saw no value to the prairie dogs being on the land. After all, they did not help in bringing shopping to shopping malls, nor were they made of strobe lights or caffeine. 


The people decided to wage war against the prairie dogs; they shot them, bombed them, scorched them, and poisoned them. They even went so far as to suck them out of the ground with giant vacuums. 

The prairie dogs in turn dug trenches, and made plans to defend and attack. They massed together as one untied, furry army, but it was not enough. The people also gathered armies and brought in tanks, nukes and germ warfare. The prairie dogs days of romping and thriving were over, and they, with knapsacks in hand, headed for the boarder of Mexico. Not really, a lot of them went to New Mexico, Albuquerque to be exact.

But in all this, and knowing prairie dogs as well as I do, I can say they are the most determined creatures on earth. They do not give up. If at first you do not dig a hole in the pillow, and then you get scolded for trying to dig in the pillow, try; try again (when your caregiver isn’t looking). You will make the pillow your playground.

A person with BPD should not give up either. Getting over ingrained fear, self hatred and neurosis is hard. At times it seems impossible. There are many scars from the previous battles that have been fought, but one must go on, and get on with living beyond the boarder, pushing on into lands of belonging and success.  

Just ask these prairie dogs what going on and surviving is like in the face of those who doubted and defied you:

No comments:

Post a Comment